Nigeria’s anti-graft agency has taken former Kaduna governor Nasir El-Rufai into custody for questioning over an alleged N432 billion fraud during his administration, with state security forces on alert to manage potential unrest from his supporters, officials said Tuesday.
El-Rufai, 64, who served two terms from 2015 to 2023 and was a key ally of ex-President Muhammadu Buhari, arrived at the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) headquarters in Abuja around 10:00 am, where he was detained for interrogation.
EFCC spokesman Dele Oyewale confirmed the development, stating: “He is with us. He honoured our invitation and is currently undergoing interrogation.”
The probe centers on claims of fund misappropriation and contract irregularities, with El-Rufai’s legal team denying wrongdoing and pledging cooperation. His lawyer, Rotimi Oguneso, told reporters: “Governor El-Rufai has nothing to hide. He will answer all questions truthfully.”
Tensions escalated as El-Rufai’s backers gathered outside the facility, prompting the Department of State Services (DSS) to deploy personnel on standby. A security source, speaking anonymously, said: “We are monitoring the situation closely to prevent any breakdown of law and order.”
The detention marks the latest in a string of high-profile investigations under President Bola Tinubu’s administration, amid opposition claims of political witch-hunts. El-Rufai’s camp offered no further comment.
Questioning over an alleged N432 billion fraud
The EFCC interrogation is rooted in the report of the Kaduna State House of Assembly’s ad hoc committee constituted in 2024 to investigate finances, loans and contracts awarded between 2015 and 2023 under El-Rufai’s administration.
Presenting the committee’s report during plenary last year, the committee chairman, Henry Zacharia, alleged that most of the loans obtained by the El-Rufai administration within the eight years were not utilised for the purposes for which they were secured.
While receiving the report, the Speaker of the House, Yusuf Dahiru Leman, alleged that about N423bn was siphoned under the El-Rufai administration, leaving Kaduna State with heavy financial liabilities and a rising debt profile.
The committee recommended the investigation and prosecution of the former governor and several members of his cabinet over alleged abuse of office, award of contracts without due process, diversion of public funds, money laundering and reckless borrowing.
The Assembly subsequently endorsed a petition to the EFCC and the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, urging them to take up the matter.
Beyond the headline N423bn allegation, the legislative report also referenced disputed cash payments and contracts amounting to over N155m, as well as the alleged diversion of N1.37bn earmarked for a light rail project. It also cited the purported laundering of N64.8m by senior aides.
El-Rufai has consistently denied the allegations, describing the probe as politically motivated and insisting that all loans obtained during his tenure were duly appropriated and applied to infrastructural development, education reforms, healthcare upgrades and security interventions.
However, Monday’s detention suggests that anti-graft agencies have moved beyond preliminary review to active interrogation.




