HomeOthersClassifiedJustice Crack Secures N5m Bail After Cybercrime Arraignment

Justice Crack Secures N5m Bail After Cybercrime Arraignment

Federal High Court granted bail on Monday to activist and social media commentator Justice Mark Chidiebere, known as Justice Crack, in a cybercrime case.

Justice Joyce Abdulmalik approved the N5 million bail with one surety in the same amount, imposing stringent conditions including proof of residence for at least four years within the court’s jurisdiction, among other requirements. The defendant must also surrender his international passport.

The court ordered the surety to be a federal civil servant of Grade Level 15 or above, backed by evidence of salary, authentication from their department head, and proof of pensionable employment. Additional requirements include an affidavit of means and a recent passport photograph.

Prosecution counsel M.L. Jackson told the court the case was ready for trial. The first witness, DSS operative Uruntu Douglas, testified that Chidiebere was transferred to the Department of State Services by the Nigerian Army Intelligence Corps for investigation.

“He voluntarily made an extra-judicial statement in the presence of his lawyers,” Douglas said, adding that soldiers allegedly sent photographs to the activist, who then created and posted videos on social media without verifying their authenticity with military authorities.

Investigators extracted data from the defendant’s phone, including videos, conversations with soldiers, chats discussing protests, and social media excerpts, according to the witness. A certificate of compliance for the forensic analysis was also presented.

Defence counsel Sam Amadi raised concerns over late service of documents but the court admitted the DSS investigation report as Exhibit A after the prosecution apologised for the oversight. The defence objected to a flash drive containing extracted materials, arguing its contents had not been properly presented in court.

The case was adjourned to May 25 for continuation of trial. The bail hearing had been delayed earlier on May 14 due to internal disagreements within the defence team; Barrister Marshall Abubakar withdrew his bail application over claims that he was supposed to be the lead lawyer.

Chidiebere faces charges related to alleged cybercrime offences tied to his online activities.

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

Recent Comments