A faction of the Peoples Democratic Party led by Kabiru Turaki has moved former President Goodluck Jonathan closer to a possible 2027 presidential bid after naming him the sole aspirant for its presidential screening exercise.
The decision was announced during the PDP presidential screening exercise held on Tuesday at the Transcorp Hilton, Abuja, where other aspirants appeared before the screening panel.
Speaking on behalf of the committee, former Niger State Governor Babangida Aliyu said the party had adopted a special consideration for Jonathan, effectively clearing him as its consensus candidate ahead of the general election.
Aliyu said the waiver granted to the former president meant he would not undergo the usual screening procedures applied to other aspirants.
“And therefore, the party has given him waiver to come on such following. In other words, he has been declared and cleared as a candidate of the PDP for the presidential election,” he said.
The development comes amid renewed political discussions within opposition circles over Jonathan’s possible return to the presidential race, with earlier reports suggesting that influential blocs within the PDP had been lobbying for his comeback as part of efforts to reposition the party ahead of 2027.
ANN earlier reported that Jonathan hinted at the possibility of joining the presidential race ahead of the 2027 general elections, saying he would consult widely after being urged by a group of youths to contest.
Jonathan made the remarks while addressing young Nigerians who appealed to him to run for president in 2027.
Responding to the calls, the former president described the presidential race as a serious undertaking and not something to be approached lightly.




