HomePoliticsGunmen attack Osun governor’s convoy in Osogbo, sparking prolonged shootout

Gunmen attack Osun governor’s convoy in Osogbo, sparking prolonged shootout

Suspected thugs opened fire on the convoy of Osun State Governor Ademola Adeleke on Wednesday shortly after he left a meeting at the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, prompting an exchange of gunfire with his security detail that lasted about 12 to 15 minutes.

Adeleke had arrived at the palace of Oba Jimoh Oyetunji around 3:15 pm in a motorcade of approximately 20 vehicles, having just collected his Certificate of Return from the Independent National Electoral Commission headquarters in Osogbo following his re-election.

An eyewitness, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, said the governor had already exited the palace hall through a private route reserved for the monarch and his wives and was inside his vehicle when the shooting began.

“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots. Those that attacked had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo,” the witness said.

“The shooting lasted for about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy eventually left the palace. The governor’s security men and those hoodlums exchanged gunshots. Those hoodlums later fled the scene.”

A trader near the palace, identified only as Munirat, said the assailants appeared to have been waiting for the governor’s arrival. “We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him. They came in a Sienna space bus. They even damaged the main gate to the palace. They shot at the palace main gate, but the security men pushed them back,” she said. “We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor near the Osogbo Central Mosque before they fled towards Ita Olokan along the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.”

Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment Kolapo Alimi confirmed the incident, stating that the governor’s security personnel successfully repelled the attackers and that no casualties were recorded. “They are hoodlums, and the governor’s security repelled them. They attacked the governor’s convoy at Ataoja’s palace. No casualty,” Alimi said.

The shooting triggered panic in the area, with traders and residents fleeing and many shops shutting as sporadic gunfire continued to be heard later in the afternoon.

RELATED ARTICLES

Most Popular

Recent Comments